Thursday, December 4, 2008

Math State Predictions - North Carolina

I chose North Carolina because I think that off-shore drilling is a very important issue that faces the United States. It is crucial that we become independent of foreign oil, but is it worth it to risk destroying coral reefs that have been growing slowly for millions of years? North Carolina has also been declared as one of the country’s major swing states for this year’s election. I have lived in North Carolina for my entire life and I think that it would be interesting to be able to predict which candidate will win the state.

 

 

I found that this project was exceptionally easier than it sounded. I think that my findings are very accurate, and want to be able to compare them to how the actual election turns out, to be able to see if this method really is as effective as it seems. My graphs have lead me to believe that Senator Obama will win the state of North Carolina, and that the line of linear regression on my graph of his percents was far steeper than Senator McCain’s; the positive inclination of Senator Obama’s line shows that it is more likely that he will win.

No comments: